At Mercy, No One Face Cancer Alone
If you or a loved one are diagnosed with cancer, you want the best possible care--medical expertise and advanced treatment options. At Mercy, you find these hallmarks of excellence and something more--a compassionate, caring approach, and the right support to help you navigate the many challenges of your cancer journey. Mercy's comprehensive cancer program provides academic-level cancer care in an accessible, community based setting that focuses on you. We take the time to understand your individual needs, and create a care plan around them. At Mercy, we're with you every step of the way on your cancer journey. it's just one of the ways we're leading the way in Cancer Care, bringing the best to you, close to home.
Mercy: Your First Choice in Cancer Care
Thanks to recent advances in prevention, detection and treatment, cancer is an increasingly beatable disease. At the Cancer Program at Mercy, strides are being made against the disease on a daily basis. Medical expertise, leading-edge technology and advanced treatment-options are the hallmarks of cancer care at Mercy. From detection through treatment, recovery and support, the Mercy offers sophisticated care in a compassionate environment. Our team of experts is committed to the early detection and treatment of cancer to help people live longer, healthier lives.
The Mercy Cancer Center serves a diverse population and treats many types of cancer. It is a full-service program accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer--a hallmark of excellence in Cancer Care. The Center’s multidisciplinary team of primary care physicians, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, surgeons and radiologists work collaboratively to provide superior cancer detection, care and treatment. Because cancer is most treatable when it’s caught early, our providers utilize leading-edge technology to assist with early detection, staging and targeted treatment. Mercy's Cancer Program's detection and treatment care features:
- Onsite Comprehensive Breast Care Center with digital mammography
- Onsite advanced diagnositcs including PET/CT and MRI
- Onsite outpatient chemotherapy suite
- Onsite radiation oncology
- Onsite genetic counseling
- New, beautifully appointed private inpatient rooms
- Navigation and care coordination services for every cancer patient
- Experienced, expert staff, providing compassionate care
- Multidisciplinary team evaluation
- Latest surgical treatment-options
- Clinical trials for both prevention and treatment
- FREE Parking
- Prevention education and support services
As a teaching hospital, our providers are helping to train the next generation of physician leaders, and patients benefit from the team approach and critical-thinking skills fostered by a teaching environment. Mercy experts are also leaders in efforts at the state and national levels to reduce cancer morbidity and mortality through education, standard setting and quality-of-care monitoring.
The Cancer Center’s seasoned team of experts offers a comprehensive approach to treatment and extends healing services beyond medical treatment. A breadth of support and recovery services are available to help our patients along their cancer journey, including:
- Support Groups for specific types of cancer.
- Look Good, Feel Better teaches female cancer patients beauty techniques to cope with skin changes and hair loss related to treatment.
- Wig Boutique, offers individualized wig fittings for women being treated for cancer to help cope with hair loss related to treatment.
- Whole Women, Whole Health, offers free massage, acupuncture and yoga services to patients who have completed breast cancer treatment.
- CarePages, a free web-based patient blog to connect friends and family during their cancer journey.
- Community Acupuncture Center offers affordable acupuncture to combat treatment related side effects.
- Nutrition Services provide nutritional support for cancer patients
- Rehabilitation & Therapy Services offer patients support to improve functioning and independence following treatment, including dedicated therapists to treat Lymphedema
- Clinical Trials provide access to a number of new therapies and treatments
- Cancer Navigation & Care Coordination Services help patients, families and caregivers navigate and connect to resources needed during their cancer journey.
- Survivorship Workshops and programs help patients stay well and continue to improve their quality of life after cancer care
LEARN MORE ABOUT:
Comprehensive Breast Care Center >
Cancer Support Groups at Mercy >
Because Mercy serves a diverse population and community, we are at the forefront of institutions aggressively addressing disparities in cancer care. Nowhere is this more evident than in our work with the Illinois Breast and Cervical Cancer Program (IBCCP). Funded by the Centers for Disease Control and the Illinois Department of Public Health, the IBCCP offers free mammograms, breast exams, pelvic exams, Pap tests and cancer treatment to uninsured and underinsured women. As a lead agency for IBCCP and the only Chicago-area hospital participating in the program, Mercy provides exams, diagnostic screenings and biopsies and coordinates treatment for women diagnosed with cancer.
Screening is available to all women—regardless of income level—and all women are welcome and encouraged to contact Mercy for an appointment. To learn more about IBCCP, call 312.567.2619 or visit www.cancerscreening.illinois.gov.
Second opinions are often recommended for those diagnosed with cancer and can be valuable for many patients in making the right decisions about their treatment. As an accredited center with academic-level care and seasoned experts, Mercy provides an outstanding resource for second opinions. Our community setting offers a convenient and efficient option for patients to obtain second opinions in a timely manner. If you have a concern or would like a second opinion, please call 312.567.5672.
Mercy serves communities at increased risk for certain types of cancers, and encourages individuals to speak with their healthcar eprovider about their personal risk for cancer. In addition to working with their primary care providers, we encourage you to take advantage of the opportunities and screenings below to help you identify cancer earlier, when it is most treatable.
- Events Throughout the year, Mercy sponsors and hosts a number of educational and screening events to help our community learn more about cancer prevention, detection, and treatment. Updated listings are posted on Mercy's calendar of events, or you may sign-up to receive email invitations for these events.
- Lung Cancer Screening A variety of factors contribute to an increased risk for lung cancer. Screening has been shown to decrease lung cancer deaths, but most insurance providers do not cover lung cancer screening. To increase accessibility, Mercy offers lung cancer screening with low-dose CT scan for a relatively low cost. To learn more about Lung Cancer Screening, call 312.567.6197.
- Breast Cancer Screening Experts agree that regular mammograms for women over 40 are the best way to detect breast cancer at its earliest and most treatable stages. Mercy's offers state-of-the-art digital mammography at all of our mammogram screening locations. Mammograms are covered by most insurance programs, including Medicare and Medicaid. A doctor's order is required. If you do not have primary care doctor, call 312.567.2600 and a physician referral specialist will be happy to assist you.
"Our compassionate approach to care begins with understanding our patients' needs and their goals for treatment. We do this by taking time to be present with our patients and truly listen to them. At Mercy, you're never just a number. We create care pathways for each individual patient. We pproach every aptient as a unique individual." - Colleen Savory, Cancer Program Manager