As Chicago's first hospital, Mercy enjoys a rich history of caring for Chicago. Since 1852, Mercy has been leading the way in healthcare in Chicago, and across the world, accomplishing many 'firsts' in surgery, technology, research, and patient care. Here are some highlights:
2013 Mercy Hospital became the first hospital in the Chicago, and the state of Illinois to receive and begin using revolutionary,state-of-the art 3D surgical technology when Rami Lutfi, MD performed the first minimally invasive cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal surgery) using the Olympus 3D Laparoscopic Surgical Video System.
2010 Mercy was the first hospital in Chicago to purchase Clean Energy through the revenue auction process offered by Practice Greenhealth Healthcare Clean Energy Exchange.
2009 Mercy’s Chief of Cardiovascular Services, Dr. Paul Jones, performed the first snorkeling technique for repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm in Illinois. 2009 Medical Director of the Mercy LAP-BAND® program, Dr. Rami Lutfi, is the first surgeon in Chicago, offering a Laparo-Endoscopic Single-Site Surgery (LESS) option that leaves patients with no visible scar.
2004 Mercy’s Chief of Cardiovascular Services, Dr. Paul Jones, performed the first FDA-approved carotid artery stenting procedure in Chicago.
1998 Dr. Paul Jones, director of Interventional Cardiovascular Medicine at Mercy, became one of only 19 physicians selected nationwide to treat patients with aneurysm utilizing a revolutionary method involving a stent wrapped in polyester.
1991 Mercy became the first hospital in Illinois to offer sterotactic radiosurgery, a non-invasive treatment for brain tumors.
1977 Mercy dedicated Chicago’s first Oncology Unit for cancer patients.
1963 Mercy’s laboratory was one of the first two laboratories in Illinois to be certified by the American College of Pathologists.
1955 Mercy pioneer neurosurgeon Dr. Harold Voris and his team performed the first successful separation of Siamese twins joined at the head.
1933 Mercy Hospital was the first facility in Chicago and the Midwest to install a one-million volt xray machine for the treatment of cancer patients.
1924 Mercy’s Dr. Philip Kreuger was the first physician to use the arthroscope in the United States.
1882 Sister Mary Ignatius Feeney became the first female registered pharmacist in Illinois.
1847 Mercy’s Dr. Nathan Davis founded the American Medical Association.