News Release: June 20, 2013

 

MERCY HOSPITAL RECEIVES GRANT FROM KOMEN CHICAGOLAND AFFILIATE
Support for our Whole Women, Whole Health Program

 

Chicago, IL – Susan G. Komen® - Chicagoland Area has awarded a $75,000 grant to Mercy Hospital’s Breast & Women’s Healthcare Center for their Whole Women, Whole Health program.

 

 

Through this grant from Susan G. Komen® Mercy’s Whole Women Whole Health Program is able to provide free integrative therapies (acupuncture & massage) free of charge to women who complete treatment at Mercy. Free meditation and yoga and nutrition classes are also offered to women recovering from breast cancer.

 

 

"Mercy Hospital is privileged to be the recipient of a generous $75,000 grant from Susan G. Komen Foundation for our Whole Women, Whole Health program. It is through the commitment of foundations like Komen that Mercy Hospital is able to offer quality, life enhancing breast cancer therapies to all women regardless of financial circumstances, which is the foundation of our mission at Mercy,” said Connie Murphy, Vice President, Marketing & Public Relations for Mercy Hospital/ Mercy Foundation Inc.

 

 

Susan G. Komen® is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the Chicagoland Area Affiliate is one of 122 Affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities. Komen Affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.

 

 

“Komen Chicago continues to support patient navigation by funding these worthy organizations,” said Rita Forden, CEO of Komen Chicagoland.  “Our funds ensure access to timely and quality care for all women and men with the greatest need in the Chicagoland community.”

 

 

#

 

About the Mercy Comprehensive Breast &Women's Health Care Center

Mercy's Comprehensive Breast & Women's Health Care Center offers women a special place to receive compassionate physical, emotional, and spiritual health care. The center's seasoned team of experts offers a comprehensive approach to women’s health and specializes in detecting breast cancer in the earliest stages, when it is most treatable. Mercy extends this unique approach to women's health with its "Whole Woman, Whole Health" program. This innovative program offers free massage, acupuncture and yoga services to patients who have completed their breast cancer treatment. At Mercy, breast cancer patients find relief from the many common side effects of cancer treatments including fatigue, body pain, scar tissue discomfort, hot flashes, weight-gain, depression, and anxiety.

 

 

About Susan G. Komen® and the Komen Chicagoland Area

Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen®. The Komen Chicagoland Area Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Chicago Race for the Cure®, the Chicagoland Area Affiliate has invested over $13.5 million in community breast cancer programs in 5-counties. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the Chicagoland Area. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 773-444-0061 or visit www.komenchicago.org